Gerunds are verbs with -ing endings that act as nouns.
They can be used as subjects or as objects.
- Gerunds as the names of actions and activities
- I enjoy hiking in the mountains.
- She loves swimming in the ocean.
- Tomorrow we will go shopping for new shoes.
- Gerunds to discuss desires or intentions
- His goal is winning the competition.
- She dreams of traveling the world.
- They are intent on opening a business.
- Gerunds as habits or routines
- He starts his day by drinking a cup of tea.
- They relax by reading books before bed.
- He has a habit of biting his nails.