The EmSAT reading section is designed to test students’ reading comprehension skills.
Here are some effective strategies that can help improve your performance in this section:
- Skimming: Skimming is an effective technique for quickly getting an overview of the passage. It involves reading the first and last paragraphs of the passage, headings, and subheadings to understand the main topic, purpose, and structure of the passage.
- Scanning: Scanning involves searching for specific information in the passage. It is useful when you are looking for a particular detail, such as a name, date, or number. To scan, move your eyes quickly over the text and focus on the keywords that are relevant to your question.
- Read actively: It’s important to read actively, meaning you should be engaged with the text and actively try to understand the meaning of what you’re reading. Highlight or underline key information and take notes as you read.
- Manage your time: The EmSAT exam has a strict time limit, so it’s important to manage your time effectively. Allocate a fixed amount of time for each passage, and try not to spend too much time on any one question.
- Understand question types: Familiarize yourself with the different types of questions that will be asked in the EmSAT reading section. This will help you to identify the type of information that is being asked for and to answer the questions more efficiently. The different reading question types are:
- Cloze Reading
- Single Question
- Extended Reading
- Paragraph Builder.
- Practice, practice, practice: Like any other skill, reading comprehension improves with practice. Practice reading passages and answering questions regularly to improve your speed, accuracy, and comprehension skills.
By using these effective reading strategies, you can improve your performance in the EmSATreading section and achieve your desired score.